Wednesday, January 7, 2015

V Loves B - A Tale of Two Bridal Expos

Back in September, I attended two bridal expos on back-to-back weekends. This was a little out of character for me, but I was really there for the dress sales! (Spoiler alert: I eventually found my dream dress at Wishahmon, obviously.)

 The first weekend, I attended the Bliss Bridal Show at the Carriage House Inn with two of my bridesmaids. Immediately we were greeted by some hefty swag bags! I know I razzed on bridal magazines in my previous post, but in the end I must admit I did flip through them for some inspiration, so perhaps they're not so bad after all. Anyway, Bliss Bridal Show is actually quite small compared to other bridal expos in the city. There didn't seem to be many brides there, so I was able to easily wander from booth to booth without elbowing anybody. Despite its small size, there seemed to be a good variety of vendors there, from florists and limos to photographers, personal trainers, and travel agents (for the honeymoon!).

The Bay was on hand with some makeup artists as well as their gift registry people, so you could kill two birds with one stone. There were also a few smaller outfits, like Bee Vintage Theme Rentals, which rents out vintage decor and furniture for weddings and other events, and Lollipop Girl Accessories,which makes custom bridal headpieces and hip flasks for a fairly reasonable price.

The dress sale at Bliss Bridal was run by Tafetta and Tulle Bridal from Airdrie. Brides signed up for appointment times that were set 30 minutes apart, with three brides per slot. As I mentioned, the show itself was quite small so we had lots of time to kill between hitting the booths (though admittedly I did not linger as much as I could have) and my appointment time. We sat out in the lobby, looted through our loot bags and flipped through our bridal magazines until my appointment time, but were still waiting outside for another 30 minutes before we were let in.

I was hoping that since we had set appointment times that we would be assigned a specific salesperson, but unfortunately that was not the case. My bridesmaids and I were left to sift through the racks on our own and pull out dresses to try. I tried on a few but none of them were for me, which was OK because I knew I would be looking at more dresses the next week!

Trying dresses on at Bliss Bridal Fair

The next weekend was the big Bridal Expo at the BMO Centre, which I attended with my sister (one of my bridesmaids) and my mom. I was forewarned that it would be a little chaotic, but we got there in the morning/early afternoon so the crowds weren't too bad at that point. Unlike the Bliss Bridal Fair, where the dress sale was separate, the bridal shops at the Bridal Expo were out in the open, so you could wander in, look through the racks, and hop in a change room if you found something to try on. I tried on one dress that I liked, but just didn't feel like "the one".

Not “the one”

The Bridal Expo was definitely huge - the expo hall at the BMO Centre was filled with vendors and elaborate displays, and there was a separate hall where fashion shows were held twice a day. There were stations set up near the entrance for brides to print a sheet of labels for $7 with their name, contact information and wedding date, for ease in entering draws. You could pretty much find anything wedding-related there, from venues (there are some golf courses out there with really delicious food) down to your flower girl’s shoes!

Impressive display by Lynn Fletcher Weddings

At the end of the day, I would say I didn’t find the bridal shows to be particularly helpful for me. Thanks to the internet, I went in already knowing where/when I was having my wedding, who my photographer was, and where I was going to get my accessories and décor. However, if you’re recently engaged and have no idea to start, going to a bridal show can definitely provide inspiration (and maybe you can snag a deal or win a draw!) It was also a good reminder of some things I hadn’t thought a lot about, like AV rentals and transportation.

The winter/spring bridal show season is just around the corner! If you’re looking for some wedding inspo (or just want a fun day out with the girls), here are the upcoming dates:

Bridal Fantasy Calgary
January 11, 2015

The Wedding Fair
January 18, 2015

Bliss Bridal Show
February 22, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggested Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...