Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Surviving a Day in Heels

Back in January at the Wedding Fair, I was one of the few vendors that wore heels the entire day. My crew members and some brides were astonished I would do such a thing. I just said "why not?" Now, in all honesty, my feet was killing me by the end of the day. However, I did make it to the end of the day in heels and with good posture.

A lot of brides tell me they are going to wear a "kick-ass" pair of heels for their ceremony and pictures and then change into Converse (love!), UGGs (dislove!), flip flops, flats, or boots. I tell them the change in height of footwear will definitely affect their wedding gown. When I ask why the change, the answer is always "because my feet will hurt."

Here are my tips on how to survive a day in heels:

I think these are the prettiest shoes I've ever seen. Elegant.....if one can say that about a shoe :)

1. Know your feet. One foot might be bigger, one foot might swell up faster, you might have flat feet, etc. Regardless, learn about your feet and pay attention to what type of heels you can wear the longest. Also, look at your shoes to see where they wear out first. It might very much be how you are walking that affects how much your feet is "killing you."

2. Find a pair of heels that fit (close to) perfectly. If the shoe fits, it’s going to cause you less pain. Heels should fit as snugly as possible without feeling tight—this will keep your arch supported and prevent slipping, which causes blisters.

3. Customize your shoe by faking it. You would totally sew in padding in your wedding gown, why wouldn't you do the same for your shoes? Where there are issues (loose, pinching, blistering), find a solution for it. Ie. Insoles! Remember your shoes don't have to match on the inside. You may need different types of padding on each shoe. Who cares and who really needs to know, right?!

4. Be creative. It’s not about the height of the heel, it’s about the angle of your foot. Look for a platform. The heel height might be four inches, but with a one-inch platform it will only feel like three. Having straps on your heels may also make a difference in comfort.

5. Practice walking. Do not "save" your wedding shoes for the special day.Practice walking in your heels and do not wear them for the first time on your wedding day.  It will be very much less special when they hurt and you hate your new Manolos. If possible, (when you know your fiance won't be around), wear them with your wedding gown too. It will be a fun process for you.


Hope these tips help! Let me know if you have other tips! I will definitely share them with our readers!!

~Monica
If you like our weekly ramblings, LIKE us on our 
Wishahmon page too! More goes on there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggested Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...