Monday, March 4, 2013

Real Meaning of Weddings

My close friend, Anila encouraged me to have an opinion and voice them through my blog. She said while I am providing good information about weddings, it is important for readers to get to know me and what my beliefs are. I struggled with this idea because I feared what people thought of me. She suggested I start sharing easy things and then go into the more controversial issues.

This blog post would be considered as controversial to some, but easy for me.

A couple of weeks ago I read an article on Huffington Post regarding Anne Almasy, a wedding photographer from Atlanta who bought an ad in Weddings Unveiled magazine but got her picture rejected. Her picture was of two brides marrying each other.

This is what she wrote on her blog:

"A friend of mine asked me, “Aren’t there other publications who would be happy to advertise to the gay community?” And, you know, yes, I’m quite sure there are. But I chose Weddings Unveiled because I’m not trying to advertise to “the gay community.” I’m advertising to couples who are getting married. This couple didn’t get “gay married.” They didn’t have a “gay wedding.” They got married. They had a wedding. They share their lives, their joys and sorrows, and all the mundane daily things that we all share with our partners. They are just people. In love. Committed to one another."

I am in total agreement with her. A wedding is a celebration of two people in love and their commitment to each other to grow that love. That should be the only "label". Kudos to Anne. You got it right girl.

~Monica
Owner and Lead Designer
@Wishahmon

 
Photo Credit: Anne Almasy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggested Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...