Monday, July 14, 2014

Renting a Wedding Sari

Recently I met up with a former bride (now friend) to catch up after her wedding. She brought along her wedding album and I was able to see pictures of all the festivities of her East Indian wedding. I have always (secretly) loved saris and of course I noticed hers and complemented on all of them. She thanked me and made one comment that was very unlike her. She said "they were VERY expensive." I totally got it. They were expensive. Most of my bride's saris were around $75-$100. Just the fabric alone on hers were over $250. Because of the cost, she paid for all five of her bridesmaid's saris too. Wowzers.

When I first met my friend, she told me her wedding is a three day celebration. I immediately thought, you are essentially planning three weddings. A typical wedding costs on average $30,000. She is multiplying that by three and she is anything but average.

After some research, I learned there are three companies based out of the States that offer a service of renting out saris. These companies are: LuxemiBorrow It Bindaas, and Devi’s Closet. While wearing something "new" is important to some East Indian families, this might be a good option for your bridesmaids. If you are a less traditional bride and just want a beautiful sari at a good price, the rental market might be right for you!

What do you think? Would you consider renting your sari or that an absolute NO?

~Monica Hui
Owner, Lead Planner and Designer
If you like our weekly ramblings, LIKE us on our 
Wishahmon page too! More goes on there!










Photo Credit: Jaylena Photography


1 comment:

  1. Indian weddings always have been an epitome of fun, luxury and traditions. The same tinge is reflected in their wedding dresses, wedding invitations, wedding decor, etc. Incredible photography!

    ReplyDelete

Suggested Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...