Friday, September 4, 2009

Bringing your Decorating Plans to Life!

Last week I answered a SOS call from a couple that wanted to meet up with me for a consultation ASAP. Feeling a sense of urgency, I asked them when their wedding date was. The bride told me, in two and a half weeks. Nonetheless, I met up with them that evening to discuss their wedding decorating plans. Two days later, a contract was signed.

I don't usually take on clients this close to a wedding date but I felt the stress this bride and groom was feeling. Having signed a contract, I had to start working on their wedding right away. With this blog post, I want to share with DIY couples some tips on how I start a decorating plan. These tips should give DIY couples a good starting point on their decorating planning.
  1. Write out a list of all the decorations that needs to be set up at the venue. These details should include big items, such as setting up a backdrop behind the head table, and smaller details, such as placing menu card on each place setting. Make sure you number each of these details for easy reference!

  2. In the next column (beside this list of decorations), write out a list of all the items that need to be rented. For example, renting the backdrop.

  3. In the next column, write out the list of items that need to be purchased. For example, purchasing decorations for the backdrop.

  4. In the next column, write out a to do list. Including everything on this list. The list for making menu cards should look like: (1) Design menu card; (2) Buy cardstock; (3) Cut cardstock; (4) Print or write out menu; (5) Attach menu to cardstock; (6) Add final decorations and embellishments.

  5. Prioritize these lists. Yup, all of these lists. Some of these things will need to be done sooner, while some things like menu cards can wait until you have decided on your menu.

Although this may sound confusing and overtop, I assure you that organization and lists definitely help with the planning process. If you are not convinced yet, imagine how good it is going to feel when you cross an item off your lists. If it helps, you might want to have "write to do list" as your first action item. By the end of this task, you will be ready to cross this first action item off. Yea!

For readers that don't already know me and think that I might be a little crazy, I assure you that my clients love how organized I am. (My decorating plans are usually colored coded too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggested Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...