Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wedding Graduates: Randi and Bill

Let’s just say I am the kind of bride that likes to take things slow.  That’s not to say that I don’t know what I like or that I can’t make a decision, I just have no need to rush into it.  The same can be said of my relationship with my now-husband.  We had been together over six years when he proposed on Halloween 2006.  I think most of my family and friends thought we would jump into wedding action (and it would no doubt be a Halloween-themed wedding).  Instead, we took another nearly four years to get to ‘the day’ and while it had serious fall flare, there wasn’t a ghost or ghoul in sight!

The planning process was fun and I enjoyed every minute of pulling together the wedding we envisioned.  We had lots of valuable help from family and close friends.  I wanted to make as many of the decorations as possible and was therefore able to really incorporate my fall-theme and colours into the design (Martha Stewart glitter pumpkins and all!).  Thankfully, I had a very talented event designer help pull it all together the day of when my focus was, as it should be, elsewhere.  The hardest part, and my biggest worry leading up to the day, design-wise, was whether I was going to be able to purchase the 40 real pumpkins I wanted to complete the look at the venue...thankfully, the crops pulled through and we had the truck full of pumpkins I coveted.  That said our number one rule related to the wedding was to let things happen - the unplanned would provide the character and uniqueness we wanted for the day! 

The day-of was crazy with a last minute cancellation by my hairdresser the night before and the logistics of getting a bridal party from Calgary to Cochrane.  But what I remember most is the excitement of the arrival of the day (finally!), enjoying the company of my Mom and ‘girls’ leading up to the ceremony and the anticipation of getting down that aisle to my husband (again, finally!).  While some aspects of the wedding were fairly traditional, we did forgo many of the standard wedding components.  Our guests enjoyed a buffet-style turkey dinner followed by, instead of cake for dessert, an ice-cream buffet that included pumpkin ice cream!  Our guests were entertained by a troupe of celtic dancers who put on an amazing performance that was full of energy - we also had the opportunity to participate in a traditional Irish ceili dance that primed everyone to round out the night rockin’ on the dance floor!  

There are definitely a few things I learned through the process that surely seemed so far away at the time but in hindsight, really did ring true.  #1 - everything works out as it should and sometimes, it’s best to let things happen as they will!  A last minute change in hairdresser and a scramble to find a new one resulted in a hair style I loved.  A late DJ isn’t of concern when your father and his friends have every country CD ever produced!  My advice let it happen and try not to control it.  #2 – if your friends and family offer their help in the planning process take advantage of it!  These folks can add the right, loving touch to components of your day if they are clearly presented your vision.  #3 – the day-of should be all about you, your groom, and your families.  Where possible, seek additional help to orchestrate your vision on the wedding day so you can enjoy the event without worry; it’s worth every penny.  With the right attitude and help surrounding you, things DO always work out as they should.

In the year and a half since the wedding, my husband and I have fondly looked back on our wedding day and would not change a thing.  It was such a beautiful day (really, +25 degree in October!) and we enjoyed every part of it - even the parts that didn’t go as planned.  We would do it all over again in a heartbeat!  I guess it was worth the 10 year wait...and a great start to the next 50 years!

~Randi and Bill






Photo Credits: Fritz Tolentino @ Fritzology

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggested Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...