Monday, July 1, 2013

Happy Canada Day + YYC Flood Art Print

Happy Canada Day Everyone! Over the events in the past week, I have never been more proud to be a Canadian and a Calgarian!

There are so many talented individuals in Calgary, including KeliGirl, who designed the print below. This print is being sold to raise funds for charities directly assisting flood victims.

KeliGirl writes:
On June 20th my city experienced one of the worst floods in our country's history. We watched entire houses float down the Bow River and found out days later that hippos almost escaped from the zoo. Just when we thought the worst was over, a damaged railway bridge collapsed. Five railway cars filled with petroleum almost submerged into the river.

Thankfully our emergency services, city workers and zoo employees reacted quickly with well thought out plans to avoid greater disaster. I have a friend who works for 911 - he asked "What's next? Godzilla?" This poster was inspired by him.

I am so impressed with our mayor, emergency services, utilities and civic employees. Communication was always clear and it seemed they always had a specific plan. Thousands of volunteers are still cleaning up and our city will recover from this.

I will donate all profits from this poster to charities that directly help flood victims. I work in Calgary's creative industry and I wouldn't say this is my best work (tight timeline) but I hope it brings some levity to this terrible situation.

YYCFlood Art Print 
If you like this print, make sure you purchase it and display it proudly in your home, workspace, etc!

~Monica
Owner and Lead Designer
@Wishahmon


No comments:

Post a Comment

Suggested Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...